You can’t always move all your possessions with you when you’re relocating to a new home or office. No matter how much space you save or how many items you throw away, there is still the possibility that you will be left with belongings that you prefer to rather store away than display in your new house or office. You might consider giving away or selling these excess items, but that is also not always a possibility. Sometimes, we hold onto items due to their sentimental worth or perhaps you are a collector of valuable pieces that you’d rather store safely. That is what storage facilities are for. Even if you are not moving to a new location, you can still use storage facilities to keep some of your belongings safe for extended periods. This article explains the process of preparing your belongings for our storage facilities, whether it’s short- or long-term.
Preparing Your Furniture for Long-term Storage
Before we relocate your furniture and other belongings to one of our storage facilities, we first need to make certain preparations to ensure your furniture stays safe and that the storage facilities we use are adequate for your needs. It is easy to simply load a truck and unload everything into one of the units at our storage facilities, but this is an oversimplification and does not properly address the concerns you, the customer, might have, and it also does not account for aspects like packaging, security, and sufficient space. Below are some of the steps we take to ensure the move to our storage facilities runs smoothly.
- The pre-move survey. Before we can package and move your belongings to one of our storage facilities, we will first need to know what you own and what we need to pack. This is done through our comprehensive pre-move survey, where you will be given the opportunity to take a room-by-room inventory of the items you own. This will give us an idea of how many boxes to source and the size of the storage unit we will need to book, plus it will allow us to generate a more accurate quotation to ensure there are no surprises in store after the move is completed.
- The service specification form. This form contains a complete breakdown of the services you will require, including any specialised services and instructions. We can only send you a quote once we know exactly which services you are interested to enlist. You will also be able to apply for additional services during this step, such as extra protection wrapping or special crating for your valuables. We only make use of durable wrapping materials, such as bubble wrap and protective padding, to prevent damage to your items. Packaging your furniture for long-term storage is an important step in the process, as it can help preserve your furniture when it is not consistently being maintained or cleaned over an extended period. You can ask us for help to determine what kind of packaging (if any) you will need.
- Getting a quotation. Once we have received your completed pre-move survey and service specification form, we will send you an obligation-free quote. We will not expect payment before you have accepted the quotation in the first place.
- Packing and Unpacking. You can pack your items yourself, or you can let us do it for you. If you want to pack your items yourself, you can simply ask us for a specific number of boxes, or we can send you the number of boxes we think you will need to package all your possessions. If you choose to pack everything yourself, however, your insurance will not cover any potential damage that may occur.
- Getting insurance. You can take out special insurance with Elliott to cover the move, or you can make special arrangements with a third-party insurer. You need to make these arrangements beforehand – if anything breaks or is damaged during the move or while in storage, you will not be compensated for it if you did not already have insurance. This is a useful add-on service, offered by Elliott. We do not recommend foregoing insurance altogether.
You Can Trust Elliott
Elliott is a moving company you can trust. We are an established specialist in relocating and storing your precious possessions and our friendly team is dedicated to upholding our customer service excellence.